BAIA Link

BAIA Link, the Online Community of BAIA Members & Friends

FIAT Panda (in Italian for the Italian market)

Jeep Grand Cherokee (in English for the US market)

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well...I believe they use the same Marketing company: I hope that got a discount on the bill :-)

Nothing wrong on leveraging national pride for selling cars, especially in this period.

I liked a lot the Chrysler ad in the Super Bowl, and their cars are much improved compared to 5-6 years ago.

Kudos to Fiat !

I agree with Domenico's comment.

I find it quite interesting how the same leverage works both for USA and Italy.

A small note: if you check FIAT panda's English AD you'll notice they even used the same closing phrase as Chrysler's.

...I don't know that leveraging national pride in the US and in Italy (even if using almost the same tones and contents) means necessarily that

a.) they are leveraging the same sentiments (because pride may mean, or be embodied by something different depending on the mainstream culture), and

b.) they are both being similarly effective.

Just to mention one difference that stroke me: you may have noticed that Americans (from the US) don't like to hear a lot how, when, and if they have been (metaphorically!) beaten up; they don't do so well once cornered (doesn't matter how many underdogs story, a la Rocky, have been shown). They like to start from a dominant position, and the commercial talks and shows mainly past successes and honors, to be replicated.

Italians instead (apparently!) like to be remebered that they have been misbehaving, and want an opportunity to redeem themselves (their good name, their "Honor"), and find the utmost joy (they love it) in proving people wrong.

It's a different mentality (which btw. could explain while the US rarely succeed at soccer, while having very good players, and why instead Italy does more often, but only when starting at handicap...).

Anyway, watching these two ads they evoke in me two different thoughts that haven't even been shown:

- for the Jeep, a bald eagle flying high over green pastures with a caravan of pioneers in the background;

- for the Panda, a 13 years old boy delivering bread on his dad's bike in a Tuscan village while trying to listen to 1982 Italy-Brasil from the neighboring houses' radios.

Why? I don't know... guess because I'm Italian.

The Fiat ad is quite beautiful, but I won't comment on its social commentary since I'm not Italian. :) I found Jeep's ad somewhat moving, because, for a long time, it felt like nothing was made in America anymore. For a long time (and probably still now), American cars were mostly made in Mexico or someplace in Asia, and the cars that had the highest percentage of American-involved labor were Japanese cars like Toyota. Even the thought of getting an American car over a European or Japanese vehicle was a joke. After the forced efficiencies and the (as it seems) re-injection of passion into the American car industry after the recession, I think a lot of us are starting to reconsider American cars. It's a thing of national pride to see cars made here with innovation and passion again, or at least as we can tell from their marketing campaigns. So, it is kind of like a Rocky, underdog story. America was mostly crap before, mediocre and passable, and now we are competing again.

It is in my opinion hard to draw the line between what is really made in US (or Italy) and what is marketing.

As an Italian I felt somehow moved by the Panda advertisement as well. But after it, another feeling kicked in: disillusionment. I don't know whether this is very Italian of me, but every time an announcement is made regarding a new beginning for our Country / Production backbone I expect it to be actually pure marketing but no reality. Call it experience.
Thankfully  Marchionne is changing this on some extents, by being on the steering wheel of the major industrial group in Italy.

Yet again, if the "things we make, make us" (as both adv. feature) I have reasons to be worried: the Panda has got an averagely good reception, but did not score the highest on the NCAP safety tests and most importantly commercially has been so far unsuccessful: the "open days" did not generate significant order volumes due to the price tag (10K €) which is about to be discounted of at least 1K € in March. 

A quite opposite situation compared to the US , where made in USA products appear to be poised for a comeback...

To specify, this is Rocky III, where America had proved itself in Rocky I and II but got fat and lazy and needs to prove itself again. :)

I instead find quite interesting 'the Italy of the young people in search of future'...

...yes! Like instead in the US people are all young billionaires, or outdoor pioneers, or promising scientists... mah!?!

RSS

Events

BAIA Photos

www.flickr.com

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by BAIA LINK.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service